What is MusicEd Blogs?
MusicEd Blogs is a collection of the best music education blogs from around the internet. We cover general music education, band, choir, strings, music education methodologies, and more. Our blogs are relevant to elementary, middle school, and high school music teachers.
Are you a music educator interested in having your blog posts featured on MusicEd Blogs? Read our agreement form.
Get connected! Follow us on Facebook to get updates on new posts from all our bloggers!
Check the blogroll below for the latest music education posts. You can also look through our contributing blogs by visiting the Members page.
- Helping Students Adapt During The First Days of SchoolRegardless of the subject and grade level you teach, all new students have the need to feel safe and supported. Ensuring that develops a better teacher-student relationship. It ensures that the school year will go smoother. Understanding the students, how they think and what they worry about will ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #029: Classroom Life HacksWhile I think it’s unlikely that anyone interested in podcasts isn’t familiar with the term, a life hack is a tip or trick that makes your life more efficient or productive. I can think of no place in greater need of helpful life hacks than the music ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #028: Solutions for Struggling ProgramsToday my guest is one of my favorite resources to tap for all things related to program growth: Bruce Rockwell. In this episode we share tips for struggling programs. Whether you’re just starting at a new school where you plan to rebuild a diminished program, ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #027: Developing Student LeadershipSummer is a great time to contemplate ideas or strategies you may wish to implement next year. In this context, I’d encourage everyone to consider how they develop student leadership in their programs. My guest this week is student leadership guru Duane Huff. While Duane’s ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #026: The Essentials of Sight Singing with Mr. DWhile we all know we should devote some of our precious rehearsal time to sight singing, many of us (especially us instrumental teachers) don’t do it. If you feel like you already don’t have enough time to do everything you want to accomplish in class, ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #025: Google Tools for Music Teachers
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #024: Tech Success in the Music ClassroomIf you’ve ever wondered about which technology you should be using in your classroom, this episode is for you. Joining me are two of my most tech-savvy contacts, Stephen Keys and Ryan Sargent. Stephen is a Google certified educator and trainer, an Apple teacher, a ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #023: Year-End ChecklistThe school year is almost over – and in my case, things are ending with a bang! Three weeks ago the band teacher at my school had surgery and needed a week off. I agreed to sub for him while he was out, especially since I’ll be ... read more
- Music Ed Mentor Podcast #022: Elementary Music for Secondary Teachers (Part 2)Many music educators leave college planning to lead a secondary school music program, but find employment teaching elementary music. In our previous episode, master elementary music teacher David Row and I had a great discussion about how to get started with an elementary program. As ... read more
- 11 Things a New Music Teacher Should Know About Their First YearAdvice and Resources for your first year! Your First Year Teaching So you landed your first gig as a school music teacher. What now? I went from teaching part time at a very small rural school of 53 students to teaching over 400 students in my second. So essentially, I ... read more